Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 July 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 21

After God had given the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20, He proceeded to lay down the law for how the Israelites should conduct themselves. He gives them prescriptions that would affect almost every aspect of their lives. But this was a chosen people who would be very closely associated with Himself. The only way that the rest of earth's peoples would get to know the real God, was through this nation, Israel. It was therefore very important that they themselves be holy, as their God was holy. It is only when we know these laws, that we can truly understand the story of the Old Testament as it later unfolds. The Bible does not always specify whether or not a person's actions were considered right and just. Instead, it expects of us to apply our knowledge from these first few books and to judge for ourselves. We begin this journey in Exodus 21 with laws regarding the repectable treatment of slaves,  and cases of personal injury. We see that consequences for breaking the laws fell into two main categories; compensation or execution. For my journal entry, I decided to illustrate personal property in the shape of animals.


Exodus 21 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I prepare the pages with a coat of Zellen Clear Gesso.


The pages look like this when the gesso is dry.


I have a collection of shapes that I can use to cut stencils on my Cricut machine.


I cut a few stickers for future use.


I saved both the positive as well as the negative cutouts.


These stencils are kept in a handy file.


I opted to use the die-cuts and traced around the edges with an 8H pencil.


I then decided to colour the shapes with my Derwent Drawing pencils, which are ideal for drawing animals.


I coloured both the ox and the donkey that I opted to use.


As the pencils are extremely soft, I was worried about smudges in the Bible and decided to fix the pencils using Artist's fixative.


I then wrote teh words 'compensate' and 'execute' freehand on the pages, using my pencil.


I coloured the words with Rolfes Metallic Markers and added some swirls.


I then used a small Fibre Castell Pitt pen in black to add shadow to the lettering.


My completed layout.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/Gl-1ZTokMdM


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment