Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 July 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 32

In Exodus 32, we encounter one of the sad stories of the Old Testament. We see how this chosen nation of God's turn their backs on Him and choose to sculpt for themselves a god to their own liking, one that they could control and manipulate. It is the chapter that deals with the casting of the gold calf. When Moses learns about this, we find him interceding for the people with God. In the process of intercession, he asks God to allow him to carry the punishment for the people, but to spare them. God does not allow this, but in these words and attitude of Moses' we see a type of foreshadowing thay points towards Jesus, Who would eventually take our sins upon Himself and mediate for our pardon, interceding with God on our behalf. I opted to focus in on this part of the chapter for my journaling and used the spraygun to create an image of a cross on the page. I show you how to do something similar in today's blog.


Exodus 32 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I seal the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso.


Once dry the pages look like this.


I colour the illustration in the margin with a combination of metallic pens and Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Markers.


My pages look like this when I am done colouring.


I slip papers in behind the pages I will be working on to protect the rest of the Bible from the spray of the spraygun.


I get my spraygun ready and load it with Dala Acrylic Ink in Red.


I have this wooden diecut of a cross that I will use as a stencil. I lay it in place on my page.


I then use my spraygun to spray a light red mist over the whole page. I opted for red, as it would be Jesus' blood that would eventually set us free from the wages of sin, which is death.


This is what the page looks like with the stencil removed.


I place the stencil back and use an Artline marker to highlight some of the text inside the stencil.


I also use a Mont Marte Marker to add some outlines to the sides of the cross.


The completed layout.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/AFNWveck0eU


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment