Search This Blog

Wednesday 31 July 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 40

Exodus 40 sees the completion of the tabernacle with all of its utensils. It also sees the glory of God descending on the tabernacle and remaining there, in acceptance of the people He had chosen for Himself. Henceforth, the Israelites would move or stay, according to the cloud resting on, or lifting from the tabernacle. The Inspire Praise Bible starts with a very pretty page to colour. I add precious few journaling accents after colouring, but still liked the outcome so much that I figured it was worth showing you what I had done.


Exodus 40 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


Having run out of clear gesso, I seal the pages with Dala Acrylic Gel Medium.


I use a combination of Derwent Coloursoft pencils and a metallic pen to colour the flowers in the illustration. I found this very frustrating, as the Gel Medium seemed to have formed a 'plastic' layer that resists the pencils and the pen.


I persist on my chosen course, as the smoothness of the page finally allows me to use my colouring pencils, something I had not been able to do on the rough texture created by the Zellen Clear Gesso.


I am adamant to make this work and tackle more flowers with the pencils.


When I keep finding the same results, I finally give up on using the pencils.


I decide to use the metallic pens to continue the colouring. Sadly, the Gel Medium resists even these pens and I have to admit defeat.


I then decide to use the Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Markers. These will sit on the page, but the colours are muted when compared to applying it to untreated paper. Still, it is more colour than I have managed to get on the paper up to this point.


I continue colouring with the Mont Marte markers.


I resort to colouring the background as well in an attempt to make the colours appear brighter.



I will be using Dala Acrylic Drawing Ink to paint the lefthand page with. I wish to have a paler blue to work with and will therefore mix it with white ink.


I  mist the page with water to dilute the ink.


I mix the ink in a small container.


I paint the page and wait for the ink to dry.


I use a white gel pen to make dots in the margin.


I add petals to the dots, turning them into flowers.


I colour the centres of the flowers and make small lines inside the petals.


The I add Dandelions to the design.


I add a single Dandelion to the opposite page to tie things together.


The completed layout.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/Tpj-ZYRcEkQ


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment