Search This Blog

Monday 12 August 2019

Bible Journaling - Leviticus 7

Leviticus 7 deals with a number of instructions for bringing offerings that we no longer need to follow as Jesus came as final offer and sacrifice for our guilt and sin. It still makes for interesting reading, as I think it is necessary for us to understand what it was that Jesus took upon Himself and why He did what He did. The chapter deals with guilt offerings, peace offerings, the eating of blood and fat, and how God provided for the priests by allotting them a portion of the offers for food. I chose to depict the guilt as a beaker of water with which to cleanse oneself. I also include a bowl of fruit to indicate God's provision for the priests. I stamped this in black ink and then used red highlights in the stamps to link the pictures back to the shedding of blood that was required to acquire forgiveness.


Leviticus 7 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I start by slipping a protective sheet under my page so that the Clear Gesso medium that I will treating the pages with, won't affect the rest of my Bible.


I have been given two bottles of Clear Gesso to test for use in Bible Journaling, by a local company who intends to produce and market it. I had already done extensive testing on both of these products and found both very suitable for journaling, with 'test sample 5' being slightly better than 'test sample 6.' I decided it was time to test these in the Bible on the thin paper. In today's jounal entry, I not only do the normal Bible Study and illustrations, but I also put test sample 5 to practical use. I therefore lather the page in Test Sample 5. This page followed on the actual pages that I had conducted the experiments on. I do not treat the velum page.


The Clear Gesso would eventually be marketed in these bottles and I was able to update the blog before it was published. The company producing it is Dala and it is marketed as Clear Gesso.


Chapter 7 already starts on the previous page. As I was busy with an experiment on that page, which I needed to write a report on, I have journaled the start of chapter 7 with chapter 6. Here is what I wrote for this part of the chapter: "Even though, I have now concluded the chapter, I decide to journal the start of the next chapter as well, as it still appears on these two pages. I am breaking some of my self-made rules here, but it is in the interest of the study I am conducting on the sample gesso's. The next passage deals with the guilt offerings, which involved the splattering of blood as well as the burning of the fat surrounding the internal organs. I decide to draw a traditional 'love heart' rather than an organ and the kidneys. I deliberately choose not to be too graphic when it comes to the depiction of the animal sacrifices. I once again make use of the Mont Marte Markers. Parts of the animal sacrifices were to be consumed by the priests. I include this information in my illustration by means of a pan on an open fire."


When I was done with that page, it looked like this.


I then turned the page to my prepped page opposite the vellum page.


I use Mont Marte Adult Colouring Markers to colour the vellum page further.


My pages look like this when I am done colouring the vellum page.


I use this stamp set by Creative talents, the Crystal Craft Ink Pad and Chizwick stamp blocks to stamp my images with.


I stamp the images on the page.


I am impressed with the crisp lines of the stamp.


I decide to use these foam rubber stamps to add some journaling to the page.


The words focus on the peace offerings.


I decide to use the dove from this Clear Stamps set by Ys.


I stamp the image twice on the page.


What the page looked like after I had stamped the images.


I use the Mingyun marker to add red highlights to the images.


The completed pages.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/tRYpdNK0AuY


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment