Search This Blog

Thursday 8 August 2019

Bible Journaling - Leviticus 4 & 5

I have been very excited to reach this chapter in my Bible, as this is the first that I would be doing on pages prepped with Dala Clear Gesso. At the time of doing this, the product was not yet available on the market and had been sent to me to test. I was so impressed with the results that I have found it hard to wait for it to become available. Unlike the other mediums I have been using to prep my pages with, Dala Cleas Gesso does not resist the mediums you use on top of it. I will tell you more about this in blogs to come. Today I journal Leviticus 4 and 5 which deals with sin offerings and guilt offerings. I make my own stencils to illustrate the animals to be sacrificed for the various offerings and I also decoupage and stamp on these two pages. And for the first time, I can do this without worries that the products I use will fade or rub off.


Leviticus 4 and 5 look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible. I have been given two bottles of Clear Gesso to test for use in Bible Journaling, by a local company who intends to produce and market it. I had already done extensive testing on both of these products and found them very suitable for journaling, with 'test sample 5' being slightly better than 'test sample 6.' I decided it was time to test these on the thin paper of the Bible. In today's journal entry, I not only do the normal Bible Study and illustrations, but I also put test sample 5 to practical use. I therefore lather the two pages in Test Sample 5. These two pages simply precede the actual pages I would be conducting the original experiments on. Thus, for the first time since starting this journey, I am doing some chapters of the Bible out of sequence, although I made sure to schedule them in sequence for my followers.


The Dala Clear Gesso would eventually be marketed in this bottle, and I was able to update the blog before it was published.


When it is dry, my pages look like this.


By the time I finally return to these pages, the journal entries behind both pages have already been done and my pages now look like this.


I will be using Dala Acrylic Drawing Ink to colour my pages.


I wish to put the ink on very thinly and accordingly, I spritz the pages with water before painting it with the ink.


When I now paint it with ink, the ink flows even more smoothly than normally, thinning the pigment slightly.


I will be decoupaging this serviette onto the margins of the page, using Dala Clear Gesso.


Remove the backing of the serviette.


Cut the serviette to the required size.


I want the serviette to only fit the margin of the page.


Lather the margin with Dala Clear Gesso.


Place the serviette on top of the wet gesso and lather another layer of gesso on top of the serviette.


I then use a gel pen to underline the types of animals to be used in the sacrifices.


A while ago, I cut myself some stencils on my Cricut Expressions 2 machine.


I used the cartridge from the Noah's ABC Animals to cut the stencils.


I keep these stencils and their diecuts in an album for future use.


I used an ink dauber and Ranger Archival Ink to stencil the images onto the page.


I placed the stencils on top of the passages pertaining to the particular animals and dabbed the ink on.


This is what it looked like when I was done.


I then used a Crystal Craft Ink Pad for my stamping.


I used clear stamps so that I could see what I was doing.


This is what it looked like after stamping the words.


I decided to add some stamped decorations to the page.


What the completed layout looked like when I was done.


The chapter continues on the next page, but this last part of the chapter, I had already done along with chapter six. This is what I wrote there: "It bothers me that I had not done the flow-over from the previous chapter yet, and I decide to journal this, even though it is not strictly speaking part of the chapter. This passage concerns defiling sacred property and the restitution that needs to be paid for doing so. I once again opt to journal it in words and again I use a Sharpie marker and a fountain pen."


By the time I was done with this chapter, the page looked like this. But I will tell you more about this process in the next blog.


Paging back, look back at the chapters I had concentrated on in this blog.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/QlT4Bjq07oU


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment