Search This Blog

Thursday 3 October 2019

Bible Journaling: Numbers 3

Numbers 3 has three main issues at the core of its passage, and all three issues has to do with the clan of the Levites. The first part of the chapter is devoted to appointing specified duties to specific family branches of the tribe. The second part of the chapter deals with the registration of all of these family members in their specific branches, so that there could not later be any confusion as to the duties and where someone belonged. The last part of the chapter deals with the redemption of the firstborn sons of Israel. According to the Mosaic laws, all of the firstborn in the land, belonged to God. However, He had specified that He had no interest in human sacrifices. Instead, God would take the clan of the Levites as redemption for the firstborn sons of the nation. So too, their livestock would be substituted for the livestock of the Israelites. I found this a tricky chapter to journal and decided to use some die-cuts I had bought and to simply lift out certain words from the passage to write in these die-cuts. I did use a cheaper alternative to Faber Castell's Gelatos in my Bible and was very happy with the results. Feel free to check out the blog for more details on this.


The chapter looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I prepare the surface of my pages with Dala Clear Acrylic Gesso.


Once dry, the pages look like this.


These Silk Crayons by Tiger Touch is a wax crayon that is water-soluble, much like the more expensive Faber-Castell Gelatos. I decided to put these to the test in my Bible.


I found an untreated page in my Bible and tested the Silk Crayons in the bottom corner of the page. I then dilutes it with water. It worked beautifully. The great thing about Gelatos is that it does not bleed through the pages.


I therefore turned the page. The colour did show through. Best then to treat the pages with Clear Gesso before preceeding.


I scribbled all over my page with the bright yellow Silk Crayon.


Then I took a damp wet wipe and simply blended the scribbles. Within seconds, I had a beautifully coloured background that dried in a jiffy.


As I had some accidental smudges on the edge of the right hand page, from a previous journaling entry, I decided to smudge all of the edges of the pages. I used a greyish Distress Ink by Tim Holtz to ink the edges of the pages, masking my earlier smudge.


Here is a close-up of how well this managed to mask my earlier mistake, while at the same time, making this layout even more interesting.


I then used double-sided tape to stick some store-bought die-cuts in my Bible.


I then used the fine point of a black Mont Marte Adult Colouring Dual Tip Marker to write some of the main ideas contained in the chapter, inside the die-cuts.


The completed chapter looks like this.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/aYqJTj_v4EA


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment