Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 October 2019

Bible Journaling: Numbers 10 & 11

In Numbers 10, we find out the details of how the Israelites went about setting up camp, and breaking it down to move on. We also find that this is where Moses parts ways with his brother-i-law, on his wife's side. It is a very tranquil chapter, in stark contrast to chapter 11, where we encounter a lot of complaining. First, it is the Israelites who complain, and a number of them are destroyed by fire. The the foreigners among them complain about the manna. At this point Moses becomes very despondent, wishing to die himself. The Lord first addresses Moses' problem, by appointing 70 leaders to assist him in dealing with the people. I love the description of how God's Spirit comes down on these 70 leaders. Then the Lord sends quail for the assembly to eat, but His anger is aroused at their gluttony and a number die with the meat between their teeth. After this, they peacefully move on again. There was not much to do in terms of original journaling for these two pages, as there were printed illustrations in both margins. This left me with freedom to lift out some of my favourite passages.


The chapters look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I treat my pages with Dala Clear Acrylic Gesso.


When I am ready to continue, my pages look like this.


I use Rolfes Metallic Markers and Mont Marte Dual Tip Colouring Markers to colour the illustration in the left margin.


I used Mont Marte Markers in the right margin as well. This time I also used their Colour Brush Markers.


My pages now looked like this.


I used an Artline marker to underline my favourite passages. Here I have underlined 10:11-12.
In the second year after Israel’s departure from Egypt—on the twentieth day of the second month—the cloud lifted from the Tabernacle of the Covenant. So the Israelites set out from the wilderness of Sinai and traveled on from place to place until the cloud stopped in the wilderness of Paran.

I also underlined 10:34-36.
As they moved on each day, the cloud of the Lord hovered over them. And whenever the Ark set out, Moses would shout, “Arise, O Lord, and let your enemies be scattered! Let them flee before you!” And when the Ark was set down, he would say, “Return, O Lord, to the countless thousands of Israel!”

I then underlined 11:10-15.
Moses heard all the families standing in the doorways of their tents whining, and the Lord became extremely angry. Moses was also very aggravated. And Moses said to the Lord, “Why are you treating me, your servant, so harshly? Have mercy on me! What did I do to deserve the burden of all these people? Did I give birth to them? Did I bring them into the world? Why did you tell me to carry them in my arms like a mother carries a nursing baby? How can I carry them to the land you swore to give their ancestors? Where am I supposed to get meat for all these people? They keep whining to me, saying, ‘Give us meat to eat!’ I can’t carry all these people by myself! The load is far too heavy! If this is how you intend to treat me, just go ahead and kill me. Do me a favor and spare me this misery!”

Then I underlined 11:16-17.
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Gather before me seventy men who are recognized as elders and leaders of Israel. Bring them to the Tabernacle to stand there with you. I will come down and talk to you there. I will take some of the Spirit that is upon you, and I will put the Spirit upon them also. They will bear the burden of the people along with you, so you will not have to carry it alone.

I followed this up with a couple more summarizing pieces about the passage where God says He will demonstrate His power.


I then underlined the verses that says how God came down in a cloud to speak to Moses and how the seventy elders prophesied right along with him when God's Spirit came upon them.


Lastly, I underline how Moses proves himself to be a gracious leader, willing to share the limelight, scolding Joshua for being jealous for Moses' sake.


I use a Gelatos stick from Faber-Castell to roughly colour the pages, aside from the underlined passages.


I use a damp make-up sponge to blend the Gelatos on the page.


I use a contrasting colour for the underlined passages.


Again it is blended.


The completed layout.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/YBLI5Ym4SuQ


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment