Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 June 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 9 & 10

Exodus 9 and 10 reads like a showdown between God and Pharaoh. In this showdown, God turns the Egyptian gods into plagues and the Egyptian priests prove powerless to veto Him. The key passage in these chapter is found in chapter 9, verses 13-16, where Pharaoh is once again instructed to allow the Israelites to leave. God then says: "If you don't, I will send more plagues... Then you will know that there is no one like me in all the earth. By now I could have lifted my hand and struck you and your people with a plague to wipe you off the face of the earth. But I have spared you for a purpose, to show you my power and to spread my fame throughout the earth." When the Pharaoh responds to this with stubborn indignation, more plagues do follow, until even Rah needs to submit before the God Who revealed Himself as the One Who Is (I AM), and Egypt suffers three days of darkness. I opted to illustrate these chapters as the Egyptian all-seeing eye, the symbol of Rah, versus the Hebrew letters YHVH, which translates to I AM.


Exodus 9 and 10 look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I coat the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso before I start.


The pages look like this when I am ready to start journaling.


I use an HB pencil to draw a large Egyptian eye ocross one page.


I use Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Markers in Black to colour the eye.


Then I write the Hebrew letters in pencil across the opposite page.


I use the same markers to colour these letters, but this time I use shades of green, a colour that represents life.


To complete the pages, I paint the backgrounds in Derwent Inktense Blocks, using a Pentel Aqua Brush. I use brown for the Egyptian background and a sunny and cheerful yellow for God's background.


My layout looks like this when I am done.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/tKWMbLZLtik


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment