Search This Blog

Monday 10 June 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 8

In Exodus 8 we read of three more plagues that Egypt was smitten with. The story of the plagues is a familiar one, but I continue to be impressed by how the appearance of the plagues could be copied by the Egyptian magicians. However, they failed every time to be able to rid the country of the plagues. It was only on God's command, and at His timing, that the plagues disappeared. One can not help but be in awe of this powerful God. So how do we equate these actions with a loving God? God wanted to reveal Himself not only to the Israelites, but also to the Egyptians, so that they would believe in Him as well. I have to stop and ask myself how often I too willfully harden my heart against God, choosing to follow my own wisdom and traditions, rather than to submit to His superior power and knowledge. In today's journal entry, I illustrate the three plagues mentioned in this chapter.


Exodus 8 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I prepare the pages with a layer of Zellen Clear Gesso.


Once the gesso has dried, the pages look like this.


I colour the page in the right margin with Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Markers.


I develop the illustration further.


The I use metallic pens for the finishing touches.


The pages look like this when I am done.


I start by drawing a frog to indicate the plague of frogs that Egypt was smitten with. This frog is probably unlikely to occur in the desert, but I rather liked the colours and so I ignore the natural habitat issues.


I also draw an overly large fly to indicate the plague of flies.


Lastly I draw a mosquito to indicate the plague of gnats. All of the drawings were done with an HB pencil.


I use a combination of Derwent Inktense Blocks and Pencils to paint the illustrations.


I paint the fly in Indigo and Bark, while the mosquito is painted in Mustard and Iris Blue.


The frog is painted in a variety of colours. This leaves me with a disconnected whole. I will need to do something on the background to tie these three illustrations together.


I opt to use my Pentel Aqua Brush to paint the whole background Poppy Red. This not only ties the different elements together, but it also serves to remind of the water that had been turned into blood in the previous chapter. This passage just happened to overflow onto these pages, and it seemed fitting to represent this plague as well.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/Vdv66-OH1to


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment