Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 June 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 18 & 19

I love the two chapters in today's blog, even though I finally only jounaled one in my Bible. We kick off with Exodus, chapter 18, where we see that Moses' father-in-law gives him some very valuable advice regarding leadership and administration. In modern dialect, he would advise Moses to be less of a control freak and to trust others as well, before he burns himself out. We then move on to chapter 19, where preparations are being made for the people of Israel to meet God. They are instructed to sanctify themselves, and to wash their clothes, for the God they are about to meet is a holy One. Moses is also told to put a barrier around the mountain where God would meet with him, Mt. Sinai, to prevent that which is not holy (people and animals) from breaking through and suffering death as a result. When God makes his presence known, it is in a cloud, accompanied by lightning and smoke. One can not help but come to the conclusion that our sin has created an insurmountable barrier between us and the holy God we serve. Thank God for Jesus, who shed His blood so that we could have redemption and forgiveness. Because of Him, the barrier has been lifted and we can enter into the presence of God. I show you how I journaled this in today's blog.


When I open the Inspire Praise Bible to Exodus 18 and 19, the pages look like this.


I treat the pages with a coat of Zellen Clear Gesso.


Once the pages are dry, they look like this.


I decide to use Derwent Inktense pencils to colour and paint today's illustration.


I start by roughly sketching my concept with an 8H pencil.


I then apply very little colour to the sky, as the Inktense pencils are vey intense in colour and a little will go a long way once I start painting it with water.


I develop the foreground and the mountain, as well as the wooden posts.


Then I add some colour to the washing on the line.


Can you see how the colour just pops and spreads the moment I paint it with water using my Pentel Aqua Brush?


I continue developing the painting, and even had to take colour away in places, using a paper towel. The end product looks like this.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/7nrTv-dgTSo


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment