Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 May 2019

Bible Journaling - Genesis 50

At the end of Genesis 49 we see that Jacob passes away. The Egyptians arrange a whole procession to bury him in Canaan as he had requested. Joseph has Jacob's body embalmed for this passage. Then, in chapter 50, Joseph passes away as well. He is also embalmed, but kept in a casket in Egypt. As this chapter centres around two deaths in Egypt, I opted to journal this in the form of an illustration of an Egyptian death mask.


Genesis 50 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I coat the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso before I start. I have since been given two bottles of Clear Gesso to pretest, before marketing and manufacturing, which are much superior products, but I am not yet at liberty to disclose more on this topic, though I would advise you to keep your eyes peeled in future blogs, as I am very impressed with the results from one of these test samples.


The pages look like this when the gesso dries.


I use Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Markers and Metallic pens to colour the illustration in the left margin.


I continue colouring the illustration with more markers.


Even these two pages represent two different books in the Bible, I try to maintain some unity by largely sticking to the same palette on the opposite page. I will tell you more about this in an upcoming blog on Exodus 1.


The final chapter in Genesis looks like this when I have completed the colouring of the illustration.


I start by copying an illustration of an Egyptian death mask, that I have found on Pinterest. I redraw it in my Bible, using a grey HB pencil.


I will be using Derwent Inktense Blocks and Pencils to paint the illustration. I use a Pentel Aqua Brush to dilute the ink.


The detail on the death mask is drawn in with the outliner pencil included in the pencil set. Afterwards, I paint the whole mask with the soluble ink.


What the chapter looks like when I am done.


The double page layout now looks like this.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/TnP0ddgHMVQ


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment