Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 May 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 1

Exodus 1 moves very quickly through a couple of hundred years of history. It starts off by mentioning the names of those who moved with Jacob to Canaan, and almost in the same sentence tells us that that whole generation died out. The family then multiplied in number so that they came to resemble a nation and the Pharaoh in power at the time became alarmed by this increase in numbers. The Israelites were then put to hard labour building Egyptian cities. And when this failed to diminish their numbers, the Pharaoh gave instruction that their baby boys be killed at birth. The midwives tasked with this would not comply and the nation kept increasing. I chose to focus on some of the grand Egyptian building projects of years ago when I illustrated this chapter.


Exodus 1 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I coat the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso before I start.


The pages look like this when the gesso is dry.


 I use Staedtler Triplus Fineliners to develop the illustration introducing Exodus.


I continue developing the illustration with the fineliners.


I also use metallic pens.


I then turn to the Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Markers for further development of the illustration.


I now make sure that I largely use the same colour scheme as on the previous page, as these two pages are opposite each other, even though they are from different books in the Bible.


Finally the combined pages look like this in the Bible.


Exodus 1 looks like this when I am done with the colouring of the illustration.


By the time I next return to the pages, I have already journaled the last chapter of Genesis and my pages now look like this. I wish to keep the pages tied together in a unity, even though they are from two different books and plan my journaling accordingly.


I use an HB pencil to make a couple of quick sketches of typical Egyptian landmark buildings.


I colour these very roughly with Derwent Inktense pencils.


I then use a Pentel Aqua Brush to dissolve the ink and paint the illustration.


When I am done, the chapter looks like this.


The double spread layout looks like this.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/JSoGsSAsOqg


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment