Search This Blog

Friday 31 May 2019

Bible Journaling - Exodus 4 & 5

Exodus 4 and 5 see Moses returning to Egypt with his wife and children. He has been called by God to lead the Israelites to freedom, and he has been equipped to do so. Yet, we find in Moses a man who is reluctant to do that which has been put before him. I chose to depict this as a metamorphosis. Moses still sees himself as a worm, not realizing that he has been turned into a butterfly with so many more abilities. He complains that he is not an orator, and God tells him that He will give him the words to speak. It takes Moses a while to become accustomed to the new man he is in God. I could not help but reflect on my own life and attitude as well,  as I did this Bible study.


Exodus 4 and 5 look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I coat the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso before I start it.


I use highlghter pens to colour the illustration in the right margin.


I continue to develop the illustration with the pens, using a Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Marker in conjuction with the pens.


I finish the colouring along this vein.


My pages now look like this.


I start by drawing the cocoon phase of the metamorphosis, as it hangs from a twig.


I add a little vegetation and then draw the worm phase on top of the same twig.


The butterfly is the main phase that we wish to focus on and therefore it is drawn large across both pages.


I will use Derwent Inktense Blocks and Pencils to paint the illustration.


I use a Pentel Aqua Brush to paint the illustration.


Then I add some blotches of paint in the background. I do this in yellows and browns.


Finally I add some greens and reds to the background as well.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/yc6EeV_HRhc


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment