Search This Blog

Monday 20 May 2019

Bible Journaling - Genesis 49

In Genesis 49 Jacob/Israel blesses all his sons, even though some of these blessings ring more true to curses. Still, it is undeniable, in the light of the later history of the nation that developed from this family, that these blessings read more like prophecies, as so many of them came to be realized. The tribe of Simeon disappears. Levi does not get its own land in Canaan, but is scattered among the other tribes. Judah sees the line of kings emerge from its ranks, until finally Jesus is born from this tribe. It makes for very interesting reading. I decided to illustrate this chapter as a patchwork blanket, as I saw these words of Jacob as a putting together the different pieces of fabric that would one day constitute the nation of Israel. I show you step by step how to do this in today's blog.


Genesis 49 looks like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I coat the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso before I start. I have since been given two bottles of Clear Gesso to pretest, before marketing and manufacturing, which are much superior products, but I am not yet at liberty to disclose more on this topic, though I would advise you to keep your eyes peeled in future blogs, as I am very impressed with the results from one of these test samples.


The pages look like this once the gesso is dry.


I use highlighter ball point pens to colour the illustration in the left margin.


I also use Mont Marte Adult Colouring Duo Markers in the illustration.


The words in the side line of spoken of the tribe of Dan and sounds very much like a prayer to be spared the cunning craftiness of this tribe.


I use a pencil to draw a quilt, a pair of scissors, a thimble and two reels of cotton thread on the double page layout.


I will use Derwent Inktense Blocks and Pencils to paint this picture.


I start by outlining my sketch with the outliner provided in the pencil set. I then use a Pentel Aqua Brush to pick up ink directly from the blocks and paint the areas with this. Then I darken the edges of the specific areas with the corresponding colour of ink in pencil.


This is what my layout looks like when I am done.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/LJwUXNrcSAc


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment