Search This Blog

Monday 4 November 2019

Bible Journaling: Numbers 17 & 18

In Numbers 17, God gives instruction that each tribal leader should engrave his name on his staff and that all of the staffs should be left overnight at the Tabernacle of the Covenant. The next day it was confirmed that Aaron was God's elected high priest, for his was the only staff that budded, grew green leaves and even producing ripe almonds! In chapter 18, the priests and Levites are given their duties and then carries on to specify which parts of the offerings would belong to the priests and Levites to enjoy. In among these portions, olive oil is also mentioned. I had these lovely serviettes with olives printed on them. These are not quite almonds, but the shape of the fruit reminded me of the shape of the almonds. I therefore decided to combine the idea of the olives and the sprouting almonds by decoupaging the serviettes (napkins) into the margins of the chapters.


This is what the two chapters look like in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I treat the pages with Dala Clear Acrylic Gesso.


When dry, the pages look like this.


I unfold the serviette I wish to use.


I remove the tissue paper backing.


I scrape some Faber-Castell Gelatos into a watercolour pan.


I spritz it with water to dissolve it.


Then I use a make-up sponge to tint the pages a feint green.


I cut out the borders of the serviettes.


I will use the Dala Clear Acrylic Gesso to decoupage with.


I paint a layer of wet gesso in the margins. Then I lay the serviettes on top and seal it with yet another layer of the gesso.


While I am waiting for it to dry, I use a Mont Marte Brush Colour Marker highlight a passage that stood out to me. It is Numbers 17:8:
When he went into the Tabernacle of the Covenant the next day, he found that Aaron’s staff, representing the tribe of Levi, had sprouted, budded, blossomed, and produced ripe almonds!

Once the gesso is dry, I trim the overhanging edges with a pair of scissors.


The completed pages.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/zJBEVbUIMlQ


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment