Search This Blog

Saturday 23 February 2019

Bible Journaling - Genesis 6 & 7

In just a couple of pages, although many more years/centuries, we have moved from a scene where everything was created fresh and new and perfect, to a state where depravity has reached a peak. God had made humans as companions for Himself. Now, when He looked for a companion, none was to be found, except for one man - Noah. This is the topic we deal with today, as we look at Genesis 6 and 7 in our Bible Journaling journey.


Genesis 6 and 7 look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I prepare the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso.


The pages look like this once dry.


I use artist Pitt Pens to colour the picture with.


As I do not have a blue in the Pitt pens, I use a Staedtler permanent marker to colour the water.


The coloured picture, when done.


Once I had finished with chapter 5, from the previous blog, my pages look like this.


The opening verses of chapter 6 must be a description of the climax of the depravity the world had reached. Verse 5 summarizes it well: "The Lord observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth and saw that everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil." When discussing Genesis 2 and 3 already, I had talked about how people's thoughts were what led them to do what was wrong and believe what was wrong. We truly need to learn to guard and control the thoughts we entertain. A fleeting thought is only that, We do not need to invite it to linger and fester and sprout new thoughts. Squash those wrong thoughts as soon as they enter your mind, and control where you allow your mind to wander. Be selective with what you allow to enter your head, the conversations you partake in, the company you keep, the shows you watch, the entertainment you indulge in, the books you read... I am not saying that you should avoid these things altogether, but I am telling you that unless you spend an equal amount of time (actually more) with God, and thinking about Him, these negative inputs will control your thoughts, actions and life. Please don't fool yourself into believing that you are ministering to the world, or preparing to do so, or should know what goes on in the world if you wish to do so, or that you are engaged in a battle, or whatever other weak excuse you can come up with. God is not interested in using you for ministry or battle until you have learned to subdue your own thoughts  and actions. You have to be the master of your life. If you are submitting to the inputs and influences of some form of screen and the filth it spews at you in constant bombardment, you are not yet in a place where you have conquered and mastered your own thoughts. Switch off and shut down, so you can spend time with God. Do not assume what He wants, find out! I chose to depict God's regret for having made the world, as a single large tear. I start by drawing the tear in pencil.


I then outline it in blue Derwent Inktense.


Then I paint it with water, leaving the centre white, as this is where light reflects off the tear.


Lastly, I shade the bottom of the page in the same blue. I made sure to use the same Iris Blue that I have also used when painting the flower at the top of the page. This ensures continuity and is soothing to the eye.


I now turn my attention to the opposite page. As there already is an ark printed in the margin, I opt not to draw my own. Instead, I borrow an idea I saw on Pinterest and draw the head of a giraffe upside down, as it is hanging over the waters, as if peeking over the side of the ark. I rather like the idea of the upside down giraffe, as this also helps to establish the concept of a world that has been turned on its head, with confusion reigning supreme.


As the giraffe covers my text, I can not use a very dark black, or I will not be able to read the text. For this reason I choose to use a marker that is transparent to colour the black areas on the giraffe.


I then colour the body of the giraffe.


I also place a leaf in its mouth.


Finally, I outline the giraffe with a black fountain pen.


I then turn my attention towards the water, colouring this blue with Derwent Inktense and painting it in water afterwards.


The finished pages.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/dz6x5BfDQ3c


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment