Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 February 2019

Bible Journaling - Genesis 4 & 5

The story line of the Bible unfolds at a tremendous pace in the early chapters of Genesis. We have seen the world created, the disruption in the relationship between man and God, and the downward spiral simply continues at this increased pace from there. In Chapter 4, we are introduced to sibling rivalry, even among the first two siblings on the planet. This gets so bad, that one actually ends up murdering the other. This depravity reaches a low point in the story of Lamech, a man whose self-righteousness knows no limits. I invite you to read Genesis 4 and 5 with me today, while I show you what I did to summarize these two chapters in pictures.


Genesis 4 and 5 look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I prepare the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso.


The pages look like this when dry.


I use Metalic Pens to colour the picture on the right hand page with.


By the time I am done with my study of Genesis 3, my page looks like this.


In the first couple of verses of chapter 4, we are introduced to the characters of Cain and Abel. Abel kept livestock, we are told. I draw a sheep in pencil to represent this early farmer.


Cain was a crop farmer. To represent him, I draw a bundle of wheat.


I use a combination of Duo Markers and Fine Markers to colour the wheat.


I use the same combination to colour the sheep. When I was a child, I came to the conclusion that Cain's offer was rejected because it wasn't a live animal that was sacrificed. It was only years later that I would learn that God also requested and accepted grain offers, as specified in the later Mosaic law. So, why then was Cain's offer rejected while Abel's was accepted? It had everything to do with character, as is revealed to us a little later on. In these opening lines we only read that Able brought from his first and best as an offer to God, while Cain brought some of what he had. This begs of each of us to do some introspection. Do we bring our first and best to God, or do we expect Him to be satisfied with some of what we have. Are those your left-overs? After you've done everything else that needed doing, and only if there is time left, you will spend some time with God. Do those things that needed doing then include things like watching television, or spending time on social media, or ...? How about your money? And your talents, knowledge, abilities, etc.? I am doing introspection right along with you as I am typing this. Perhaps it is time we once again straighten our priorities. Too often, I am asked the question 'why would God not answer my prayers?' Perhaps these early chapters in Genesis already hold the key. Perhaps it is because you do not prioritize Him. I often come across some form of modern quote/quip that instructs us not to prioritize people who won't prioritize us. Ask yourself this question; why should God prioritize you? Thank God for the grace and mercy that is found in Christ Jesus, or there would be no hope for any of us. But don't just thank Him for it, seek it out and make it part of your life!


From verses 6-16, God and Cain falls into conversation with each other. These are the verses that gives us such acute insight into the character of Cain. This was a headstrong man, who did as he liked, regardless of whether it was right or wrong. I imagine he was one of those people who did not stop to consider the consequences of his actions, and would not be deterred by it, unless it proved to be to his own disadvantage. Certainly what little we know of his actions, would suggest this, and the admonishment received from God, also seems to point towards this being the case. The conversation that takes place here is key to understanding life, and the 'rules of the game' has not changed since all those centuries ago. Read God's words in verse 7 with me: "You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master." In my illustration, I chose to depict this 'crouching sin' as a seductive woman. I started the sketch in pencil.


I then coloured the figure in Derwent watercolour pencils, which I painted with water afterwards.


I did the same with the hair.


Then I added facial features and a base for the figure to rest on.


Sin is such a vague word that I did not want to use it. Instead, I contemplated the things that tempt most people and reduced it to four major temptations. These I wrote in neon highlighters next to the beckoning figure: sex, wealth, power, and fame. Our egocentricity easily fools us into believing that we deserve these things, that we are entitled to it, and that we ought to have it. We are not tempted by things we find abhorrent, we are tempted by things we find attractive. In the previous blog, on Genesis 2 and 3, I spoke about how it is our own minds that convinces us to what is wrong, turning what is wrong into something acceptable and 'right.' But if it is not right in God's eyes, our arguments do not matter, however clever and well-constructed they might be. Sin is eager to control us. But take note: we can subdue it. We can master it. God has confidence in our abilities to do so. Do not fool yourself into believing that you will be able to convince Him one day that you did not have the necessary skills or power to do so - he knows better.


We then read a very short genealogy of Cain's descendants, which culminates in one of the most deprived self-righteous and arrogant statements known to have been uttered. Lamech speaks to his two wives and tells them how he has already killed for having been slighted and how he is prepared to do so again. And then he claims that his own wrath surpasses that of God. This is it. This is true. This is human nature, when it is stripped of God. In God, we find love, acceptance, forgiveness, mercy, grace. Humans who places themselves above God in importance (or self-importance), do not possess these characteristics naturally. If we pursue evil, refusing to submit it and rule over it, this is what each of us have the potential to develop into. As my pages are already becoming very busy, I simply put a transparent sticker here, reminding us that we all need to check our moral compass from time to time.


The last verses in the chapter informs us of the birth of Seth. It contains one line of information that is easily overlooked - 'At that time people first began to worship the LORD by name.' The typing of the word here indicates that the word YHVH was used here. I again place a sticker here in acknowledgement of this, while also underlining the words quoted above.


I am now done with chapter 4 and need to move on to chapter 5.


The first verses in chapter 5 reminds us that we were created in God's image, and that we were created male and female. It also says that we were blessed by God. As the remainder of this chapter deals with genealogy, I choose to underline these words. These are the same words that would be used to describe Adam's offspring; a son would be born to him, who was just like him, born in his image. Oh, that we should grasp how important God considers us in creation, and how He longs for our company! Oh, that we should realize that we were created for God's pleasure, just as we are to find pleasure in Him! How different our lives would be, if only we would subject our own egos and thoughts to His, so we could learn what it truly means to live!


When I turn the page, I am confronted with this blank page. It is already treated with gesso, as I treat both sides of the page before I start.


As I read the text, there are a couple of things that gain my attention. I underline and highlight these, even though most of this will disappear behind the picture I will soon paint over it. It is not of significant importance but deserve some cursory attention. The first verse that stands out to me is verse 4, informing us that Adam had more sons and daughters. Then verses 21-24 tells the short story of a man, Enoch, who walked closely with God, before He simply disappeared. It is commonly believed that God took Enoch up into heaven alive, not unlike what He did with Elijah all those years later, as accounted in 2 Kings 2. We then encounter the man who reached the oldest age, Methuselah, and lastly we are to take note of the birth of Noah and his sons. This genealogy serves as a very quick way to move the story along to the next interval in human history which is of importance, which are of course the events that unfold around Noah in the next few chapters.


As there really isn't too much to illustrate in a genealogy, I opt to simply decorate this page with a large flower. I draw the flower in pencil on the page.


I then use my Faber-Castell Artist Pitt pens to colour the flower.


I develop depth by adding a darker shade.


My flower is starting to take shape.


I use a ProMarker on the leaves.


I draw the veins in with a Pitt pen. I also outline the tips of the petals on the flower.


Then I add some interest with a warmer colour.


I start to develop the centre of the flower.


I continue developing the centre of the flower.


Still working on the centre of the flower.


I use ProMarkers to add detail to the centre of the flower.


More detail is added.


Even more detail is added.


I am finally satisfied that the flower is fully developed.


I use a blue Derwent Inktense pencil to outline the flower in blue.


I then pain the Inktense in water.


The completed page.


I page back to look at the completed chapters.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/rbJUSBnnT6M


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment