Search This Blog

Thursday 4 April 2019

Bible Journaling - Genesis 26

In Genesis 26 we encounter a couple of incidents in Isaac's life which reminds very much of things that happened with Abraham. We take a look at these 'duplicate' stories in today's journal entry, while we figure out how to illustrate the stories without duplicating the pictures as well.


Genesis 26 look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I treat the pages to a coat of Zellen Clear Gesso to prepare it for the mediums I will be to decorate it.


When I return to these pages, they look like this.


I notice that despite the precautions I had taken with treating the pages, some of the ink from the previous journal entry, had after all bled through to this page. I will have to deal with this in due time.


The chapter starts on the previous page already, but I do not wish to do too much on this page. I opt to simply put a sticker in the margin which reads: 'May you always know angels walk with you.' This is not something that I actually believe about the New Testament Christian's walk with God, as we have received the Holy Spirit to 'walk with' us. Still, it did appear to be true about Abraham and so I feel some leeway in putting it in the Bible after all.


We now learn that a drought broke out in the area. Isaac is instructed not to go to Egypt, but to stay in the land promised to Abraham's descendants. God repeats the promises made to Abraham now to Isaac. Isaac then moves to the land of Gerar, where he lies about the fact that Rebekah was his wife. Abimelech sees them showing affection to each other and confronts Isaac about the matter. A public proclamation is made that Isaac and Rebekah is to enjoy the king's protection. This story reminds very much of the time that Abraham and Sarah had also lied to Abimelech, as told in Genesis 20. I draw the pretty Rebekah as a veiled woman, in pencil.


I then use my fountain pens to develop the picture. I would later regret this choice, as the purple fountain pen bled through to the back of the page and I needed to go back to that page to mask the bleeding.


I then use Derwent Inktense pencils to colour and paint the illustration.


We then see that, just as happened in Genesis 21 between Abimelech and Abraham, conflict now arises between Abimelech and Isaac, over water. Isaac, unlike Abraham, is sent out of the region, as he has become a threat to Abimelech because of his wealth and power. Isaac struggles to find a place to settle down, where there is room enough for him and his possessions, without attracting the wrath of someone else. I indicate the temporary nature of Isaac's dwellings by drawing a tent over this passage. I start in pencil.


I outline the tent with a ProMarker.


Then I use Inktense pencils to colour and pain the illustration.


To depict the conflict over water, I draw a bucket, rather than a well. I also wish to comment about the fact that Abimelech signed a treaty with Isaac, just as he had done with Abraham in Genesis 21. I draw a parchment scroll in pencil, for this purpose.


Looking back at the previous page, I decide to add blue to the background to unite the two loose-standing pictures into some sort of unity. I use Inktense and water to do so.


I use Inktense pencils to colour and pain the illustrations of the bucket and the scroll.


Then I fill the bucket with water and have some of it spill out onto the ground where the bucket is standing. I allow it to flow to the scroll, once again using the blue to unite the two pictures.


Once the illustrations are dry, I use a fountain pen to write Isaac & Abimelech on the scroll.


The completed journal entry.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/sLPGxHpGUfw


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment