Search This Blog

Saturday 2 March 2019

Bible Journaling - Genesis 10 & 11

Chapter 10 and 11 in Genesis are filled with long genealogical lists which we can often scan over, thinking it has no bearing or importance to us. Yet, as little interested as I generally am in these sorts of lists, it is not true of these particular lists. These lists serve as an indication of where the nations of the world developed from and settled themselves. I discuss this in fuller detail in the overview of Genesis that I blogged about before we started on Genesis. However, do pay attention to the relationships and origins of the nations, as this is often at the heart of the history of the Old Testament. Chapter 11 also recounts the story of the scattering of the people at Babel. We look at these chapters in today's blog, while journaling our reading in pictures.


Genesis 10 and 11 look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I prepare the pages with Zellen Clear Gesso.


The treated pages look like this when I start on them.


I have a stencil that looks like a brick wall. I wish to depict the Tower of Babel being built and this stencil will do the trick. I use Tim Holtz Distress Ink and a sponge dauber to apply the ink to the page.


I only partially stencil the wall, as I wish t make it appear as if the work is still in progress.


I then Google stick men in construction and find a couple of cute pictures to replicate on my wall. I draw them in pencil to start with.


I then redraw them with my black fountain pen.


I then use an orange neon highlighter to colour the hard hats on the construction crew. I doubt they actually wore these, but I find them a fun inclusion in the picture, not bothering to keep it historically correct.


I am still left with the wide margin on the right hand page. I don't wish to do anything here that will detract from the wall. I decide to simply stick a strip of clear stickers on the side of the page. This doesn't do the trick, though.


I add some Washi Tape, following the contours of the border sticker. It still feels too empty and unfinished.


I then use a green ProMarker to draw a ladder across the empty space, using the lines to mark the rungs in the ladder.


I use a black fountain pen to draw a stick man climbing this ladder, after consulting Google once more.


His hard hat also needs to be coloured.


The completed page. When we turn the page forward, we find that the chapter continues to introduce us to one of the pivotal figures of the Old Testament, Abraham. However, as chapter does not tell us much more than that the family of Abraham was born and moved towards Canaan to settle there, I will leave a discussion of this important character for the next blog.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/EkDoTaqYo0s


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment