Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 November 2019

Bible Journaling: Numbers 19 & 20

Numbers 19 deals with the preparation and the use of the water of purification. This was to be used to cleanse someone who had touched a dead body. Numbers 20 is a sad one, for this is where Miriam dies. It is also where Moses haughtily strikes a rock while asking the people if they expect himself and Aaron to bring water forth from the rock. When water then gushes from the rock, the credit seems to belong with the two humans, and not God, Who told them to merely speak to the rock. As a result of this action, that Moses and Aaron are informed that they will not be entering the Promised Land either, but will die in the desert along with the rest of the Israelites. In the following passage, the Edomites (descendants of the sibling nation, Esau) refuses the Israelites passage through their territory. God would hold this against Edom in later years, as we read in the book of Obadiah. The chapter then concludes with the death of Aaron. I opted to journal these chapters in the colour associated with water, blue. I was given some serviettes (napkins) from Holland, which I have been cherishing, but the country 'on water' seemed to fit well with the chapter on water. Lastly, I stenciled some words from the passages to lift out the main ideas in the chapters.


The chapters look like this in the Inspire Praise Bible.


I treat the pages with Dala Clear Acrylic Gesso.


Once dry, the pages look like this.


I shave some Faber-Castell Gelatos into a watercolour pan.


I spritz it with water to dissolve it.


Then I shade the pages blue with a make-up sponge.


This is the treasured serviette I wished to use.


I remove the backing paper from the serviette.


Then I carefully cut out two of the images.


I will use Dala Clear Acrylic Gesso to decoupage with in my Bible.


I paint the gesso on the page, where I wish the picture to go. Then I lay the serviette illustration on the wet gesso. Afterwards, I seal the serviette with more gesso.


I use this stencil by W&M for the journaling.


I stencil with a Mont Marte Dual Tip Adult Colouring Marker.


The completed chapters.


You can watch a short compilation video of the steps above on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/ouQ3qG0e1lQ


Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright 1996, 2005,2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois, 60188. All rights reserved.

Inspire PRAISE South Africa edition copyright 2017 by Christian Art Publishers, PO Box 1599, Vereeniging, 1930, RSA. All rights reserved.

Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment